Sunday, 27 March 2016

Mirror, Mirror in the Bin ~ Upcycling


I found a Mirror! Yep. Found it!! Someone had put this perfectly good mirror in our communal bin area. So I took it. After all it was heading to landfill.


Okay, its not Perfect! Its got a bit of damage round the edges. All it needs is a bit of a sprucing up :)

I've been looking for a full length mirror for ages. I don't have many mirrors in my home (probably explains a few things ;) hehe). Never found any in a reasonable price range or I always missed a sale.
 
So I wasn't going to let this go to landfill.
 
 
 
First things first. How was I going to spruce this mirror up? What did I have in my craft stash and or did my Dad have any materials I could use? And What Budget do I have for this?.
 
While I was cleaning the mirror. I remembered when I recently visited my parents house. My dad received a lot of used tiles and a few other materials from someone we know (My dad works and knows a lot of people in the building trade :) ) I asked them how big the tiles are and Yep, you guessed it they are a perfect Fit to go around the mirror. I obviously asked politely :) if I can a have the ones that aren't damaged. (These tiles where obviously pulled off the wall, heading for the dump. So you can say not much care was taken :/)
 
My mum very kindly went through the tiles and got me a box full.
 
 
I had to go through them and clean them up. I got as much of the old grout and concrete off as I could and I was lucky to have enough :).
 
 
 
 
 
 
I had a tub of tile adhesive left, from when I fixed my tiles in the our bathroom. And my dad had some grey grout left over from when he had their bathroom decorated.  
 
 
Adhesive done
 
 
Grout done
 
 
 
Gave the mirror another clean and Finished!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Before and Afters:
 

 
Not bad for something that was heading to landfill!!. I'm so happy with how it turned out :)
 
 
Time spent: approx. 2/3 days (due to adhesive and grout drying and it took me Quite a few HOURS to clean the old grout and concrete off the tiles).
 
Money spent: £0.00
 
I do know I was very lucky and I'm very grateful when it came to the materials I needed to upcycle this mirror. I used what we had left over.
 
My advice, if you want to upcycle anything, always check with family and friends if they have anything they want to get rid of first. You never know what you might find.  But, Never assume it is for free, always offer something.
 
 
 
Do you like to upcycle? What have you upcylced lately? Have you rescued anything from going to landfill? Let me know in the comments below. I would love to know :)
 
Till next time
 
Donna x

Like this post? You might like to read: Music Themed Happy Birthday Card

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, looking good and even better for no money :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan :) Yep, that's the best part, I think its amazing what you can do for no money :)

      Delete